Sunday, May 25, 2008

SimpleOCR: Free Optical Character Recognition Program

Recently, my friend who also happens to be my younger sister’s friend, Azizah wanted me to do some typing work for her. She gave me about 10 lists of manually written names & addresses to type out in WORD. It takes me about 3 to 4 hours to finish the 212 names & addresses. Beforehand, to make my work easier, I went looking for a OCR (Optical Character Recognition) computer program online that could read scanned documents. I found some which are SimpleOCR (http://www.simpleocr.com/) & TextScan (http://www.getfreesofts.com/soft/463/23566/OCRTextScan_2_Word.html). SimpleOCR is a free program while you must pay to be able to fully use TextScan. Being the cheapskate that I am, I chose & downloaded SimpleOCR.

Below are the Scanned Document & Results screen shots of a scanned document using SimpleOCR:

Scanned Document


Results Screen Shot

I did not expect the name & address list to be actually had written stuff. Although the program includes a 14 day trial of hand writing recognition program, it is practically useless! I tried it with one of the hand written list. After scanning it & letting the program do its work, the results came out as gibberish in WORD. The process took a few minutes. The program queried me whether I want the program to continue ‘learning’. The result it gave was not even close to the real content. Man, I just closed the program after letting it ‘learn’ a few tries. SimpleOCR works best with scanned documents that were written using computer fonts or perhaps at least type writer fonts. Perhaps you have found a need for such alphabet recognition software so you may want to try SimpleOCR!

No comments:

My latest images for sale at Shutterstock:

My most popular images for sale at Shutterstock: