Commonly used methods to distribute Malware on the web:
1. Blackhat search engine optimization (SEO) ranks Malware pages highly in search results.
2. Compromised legitimate websites host embedded Malware that spreads to unsuspecting visitors.
3. Drive-by downloads exploit flaws in browser software to install Malware just by visiting a webpage.
4. Malvertising embeds Malware in ad networks that display across hundreds of legitimate, high-traffic sites.
5. Social engineered click-jacking tricks users into clicking on innocent-looking webpages.
6. Spearphishing sites mimic legitimate institutions, such as banks, in an attempt to steal account login credentials.
These Malware threats include:
- Botnet software to subvert the system into silently joining a network that distributes spam, hosts illegal content or serves malware.
- Fake antivirus to extort money from the victim.
- Keyloggers to capture personal information and account passwords for identity or financial theft.